Monday, March 14, 2011

18 Months And Still Counting

Yesterday marks the first day of my 19 months in therapy. Hurray, I have just crossed the 18 months mark. Thanks everyone for your support. I really appreciate it.

It has been raining for the past two days, even in Cameron highlands. I am now back in town and today I received some SMSes from my friends informing me that the nuclear plant in Fukumi, Japan has exploded. The text further said that people in Asian countries should not get exposed to the rain for fear of getting skin disease and even cancer. It further require the recipient to forward the SMS to loves ones to warn them.

I thank all my friends for taking the time to sent out the SMSes but I think we should think deeper before sending such messages. If indeed the nuclear plant has exploded and the atmosphere has been contaminated by radiation, then that skin disease is just a small problem. What about the meat and vegetables we eat? What about the rice we import from other Asian countries. Frankly, we would all have no food to eat since the meat, vegetables and fruits will be contaminated as well. While I appreciate the alert that my friends are sending, but I think it is causing unnecessary public panic and possibly panic buying in supermarkets. In any case, radiation can last for a long period of time. We will run out of food sooner or later.

BBC reported that experts say a disaster on the scale of Chernobyl in the 1980s is highly unlikely because the reactors are built to a much higher standard and have much more rigorous safety measures.

So please refrain from sending such SMSes. It's doing more harm than good. How about donating some money to help out instead?
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment