Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Trying Non Invasive Therapy

After a hectic and tumultuous week, the dust has settled down. The pain comes and goes and life goes on. I must still be very tired because this morning, I only got up at 11am. My breathing is still heavy especially when I lie down to sleep. Otherwise, I feel good.

After my morning enema, I wanted to make my carrot+apple juice when I found out there was a power cut. No notice from power company,  nothing. So I went out for a quick lunch and thereafter to IMU to see a chiropractor. I am very sure my spine needs some tweaking considering the way I am limping. The doctor after an physical examination started with a general realignment. He hopes that this would help me. It would take a number of therapy sessions. My next session is Friday.

Cancer Cost 'Crisis' Warning from Oncologists

The cost of treating cancer in the developed world is spiralling and is "heading towards a crisis", an international team of researchers says.

Their Lancet Oncology report says there is a "culture of excess" with insufficient evidence about the "value" of new treatments and technologies.

It says the number of cancer patients and the cost of treating each one is increasing. It argues for reducing the use and analysing the cost of cancer services.

About 12 million people worldwide are diagnosed with cancer each year. That figure is expected to reach 27 million by 2030. The cost of new cancer cases is already estimated to be about £185bn ($286bn) a year.

A group of 37 leading experts from around the world say the burden of cancer is growing and becoming a major financial issue.


"In general, increases in the cost of healthcare are driven by innovation. We spend more because we can do more to help patients."

For example, the number of cancer drugs available in the UK has risen from 35 in the 1970s to nearly 100, but the report warns they can be "exceedingly expensive".

It adds: "Few treatments or tests are clear clinical winners, with many falling into the category of substantial cost for limited benefit."

The cost of drugs is not the only target for criticism.

Lead author Prof Richard Sullivan told the BBC: "It's not just pharmaceuticals. Biomarkers, imaging and surgery are all getting through with very low levels of evidence - the hurdles are set too low."

The report calls for a proper evaluation of the relative merits of conventional surgery and less invasive robotic surgery.

The cost-effectiveness of minimally invasive robotic surgery is questioned.


Source: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment