Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Time Is Right


I was doing further reading on the efficacy of the HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) treatment, especially on kidney tumors.

I found a selected study reporting the use of HIFU in the kidney tissues which was published by the Indian Journal of Urology, Jul-Sep 2010 edition. Several clinical studies were carried by researchers at various parts of the world. The results as shown in Table 1 on the diagram on the left shows that results of various trials. I was only interested on human trials on renal tumors and the results were impressive, ranging from 33% to 90% of complete necrosis. On a more personal level, I found a testimonial of John Madden  who said: "In 2004 I needed a tumour removing from my right kidney and the consultant explained that I could have it removed by surgery, with the likelihood that I could be on dialysis for the rest of my life, or I could be treated with HIFU. I chose HIFU and the procedure was so simple, I didn`t know it was done. There was no scar or any other after-effects. They tell me that the MRI scans since show that the tumour is no longer a problem, and eighteen months on I am enjoying a dialysis-free lifestyle thanks to HIFU."

Although I am keen on HIFU treatment, I still needed to see the outcome at clinical trials and I think I am now convinced that this treatment is something I would like to do. So I will continue to communicate with the hospital on the preparation and also possible dates for admission. I will be in China for about a month to undergo the treatment and I hope to take the treatment in December/January and hope to come back home just in time for Chinese New Year in late January 2012. One of the reason why I am accelerating treatment on the kidney tumor is that I do get some pain from my tumor, dull pain that lasts a few seconds and the frequency seems to be increasing.

A concerned friend wrote to me yesterday about HITV treatment and this is what she wrote "Did Dr Beh gives u a prognosis of how many % of success? If its good lets c how we can proceed to raise some funds? What do u think?" My reply was "...No, it's too much money to be raised....It's OK, because if it's meant that I will survive, I will. So I think better let nature takes its course." Thanks Ai Wee for the gesture.

My India traveling group is still hoping and praying that I can go with them for the pilgrimage. Of course they are disappointed that I can't go but are also concern about my pain in the legs. I do feel responsible for agreeing to lead them in the first place and now abandoning them on this is self guided tour. Anyway I will be meeting my orthopedic surgeon this coming Tuesday to check on my progress and will ask him for an opinion about traveling to India.

1 comment:

  1. Dear CT,I HAVE ALWAYS IN MY COMMENTS TO YOU SAID KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DOING WITHOUT LETTING UP,KEEP SEARCHING ALTHOUGH I KNOW ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE,NO HUMAN IS THE SAME,WHAT WORKS FOR ONE MAY NOT WORK FOR THE OTHER,SO JUST KEEP THE SAME REGIMENT THAT YOU DECIDED AND KEEP DOING IT.YOU HAVE MY PRAYERS AND MY BEST WISHES AND YOU ARE A FINE EXAMPLE OF STRENGTH AND COURAGE NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.GOD BLESS FR AL MAL.

    ReplyDelete