Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Staying Alive

Yesterday, I was visiting my friend, Yeong's house. I have not been in touch with him for a while, so I thought I would just pay a visit. His wife, Khadijah bought me two bars of natural soap. The soap is refreshing change for me. When I was there, I met another cancer patient who had dropped by to seek consultation with Yeong. He was diagnosed with nose cancer in 2008 and had three courses of chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatments over a three year period. According to him, there was a period of time when he was cleared of all tumor even after it has spread to the back of his left eyeball but only for a brief period. Within less than two months, his cancer returned to the back of his left eyeball. The doctors says he can't do anymore radiotherapy and he refused to do chemotherapy as the lone treatment. He said his body's immune system has already compromised with the treatments. He felt he has no chances at all. He has seen his friend died a few months earlier from chemotherapy. What so interesting about this case is that he is adamant about conventional treatment and suddenly he lost faith in it. Also, he came to try alternative treatment and wanted a quick and effective fix. Yeong said herbal therapy is unlike chemotherapy and will take a longer time to recover. There are no guarantees. Also he has such fixed views that he is not open to other people's suggestion. Anyway, I wish him luck in his quest for alternative therapy.

Since I quit work 30 months ago, I have received one job offer and three head hunters prospecting me for senior management positions. Yesterday, I received another call from a head hunter. I don't know whether I should feel happy or sad about it. In my pre-cancer days when I was looking for a work change, I did not received a single call. Anyway, I view this as a positive development. Some people still remembers me in the market and it's boost for my self esteem. Actually, I am so eager to go back to employment, if I can. For me to do that, I need to get my health back.

My friends says I look much better now compared to a few months ago. I believe the HIFU treatment did have a positive impact on my health. After all, a 12cm tumor ablation must have lessen the burden in my body. I do feel good, just minor healing pain around the right abdominal area. Now with the introduction of new therapies, I hope to contain the situation. I now weigh 62.7kgs. If I take meat in my diet, I can guarantee a 5kg increase within a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment